Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A book of holocaust poetry, complete with pictures

As I mentioned over at SunnyO a couple of weeks back, one of my favourite books when I was eight years old happened to be an illustrated book of assassinations. The other two books were the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and Life at War.



Life at War was an uncomfortable coffee table book that would make some people lose their lunch. It was a graphic account by war photographers from the Spanish Civil War through to Vietnam and the Arab - Israel conflicts. If any book made me who I am today, it is this one.

So it's great to see TimeLife collaborating with Google to have these images and more available at this photo archive (Hat Tip /.) There is one image that struck me in this harrowing book then that reverberates for me still: the young German boy outside Belsen concentration camp.