Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bloody Oath

This is one of the numerous reasons why I couldn't realistically stand for parliament or, indeed, most of the more interesting government departments:
 I, ..., swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her [or His] Majesty [Specify the name of the reigning Sovereign, as thus: Queen Elizabeth the Second], Her [or His] heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.
There are several things wrong with these swear words. As I've said before, if push comes to shove it'll be Rachel over Charlie any day of the week. Then there's this God thing, presumably of the Anglican variety since Liz Windsor is the head of that creed. In short, you want me to promise to serve and protect an invisible supreme woman on pain of punishment by a non-existent supreme cop.

No. I'll swear by no such fiction. The repugnance doesn't just end there though. There's no sign of an NZ person anywhere in this oath of honour. The oath practically demands the human sacrifice of the NZ people to the greater glory of whatever majesty sits on some throne halfway across the globe.

Little wonder our sworn authorities are so messed up.